Wow, where to begin! I am so excited to announce that I have signed my first modeling contract here in Europe. For those that know me well, modeling is something that has been on my mind for quite some time. After years and years of people encouraging me to do it, I finally bit the bullet and now I have the opportunity of a lifetime! I am beyond excited to be able to share with you this news and I cannot wait to start 2019 off with a BANG!
Today, I thought it was a great idea to share with you some helpful tips and advice for those who are wanting to get into the business. Okay, let me make myself clear I am no Victoria Secret Model, although, that is definitely a dream of mine! I think it is important to share my experience so that I may be able to help the next person out. So here we go!
My meeting was scheduled for 11:30am – which gave me plenty of time to get up eat a good breakfast and get myself together. I set my alarm the night before, set my calendar reminder and even had my husband set another alarm for me – just in case. The biggest piece of advice I want to give you is BE YOURSELF! Don’t be overly confident but have enough confidence to answer anything they throw your way. Here are my top 7 tips!
1. Preparation is key
If you are a night owl like me, organize your things the night before. If you work best sorting out your things on the day then go for it – just make sure you have enough time to do so!
- Plan your outfit the night before & have at least three options to choose from – Pinterest is your best friend!
- Drink water!
- Face mask before anything!
- Iron & hang up all of the clothes you may choose to wear.
- Gather your portfolio and any additional items the agency may require from you.
- Pack your bag and triple check you have everything before you leave!
2. Dress wisely
I’m not saying show up in a ball gown or a club outfit but dress appropriately. Here are some great suggestions and I actually researched this on the internet before I picked my outfit too.
- Natural looking makeup – I chose to wear BB cream and lip gloss THAT’S IT!
- Skinny jeans – I chose a light wash for this particular interview but whatever floats ya boat.
- A nice blouse, basic fitted t-shirt or even a crop top unless the agency has a strict “dress” policy.
- A nice dress or skirt.
- HEELS HONEY! Always wear heels.
- Handbag – something that can fit what you need compared to what you want to bring.
3. Bring Photos
Every agency will want to see some type of photos. Do they have to be professional? No. However, if you have had the opportunity to get professional photos done then, by all means, bring them! Most of the time the agency will schedule you a professional photoshoot anyway.
4. Get there early!
“If you’re early, you’re on time. If you’re on time, you’re late!” Ever heard of that saying before? Well, get used to it. The worst possible thing you could do is arrive LATE to an interview. You want to be able to have enough time to get yourself together, fix any necessary things that need to be fixed like hair. In addition, make sure if you have to pull a Miss Rose and switch your shoes from sneakers to heels before entering the building than you can do so without having to rush!
5. Expect questions and conversation
The agency wants to get to know you! Don’t act shy, please. Expect questions! Here’s a couple just so you have an idea.
- What are your hobbies/interests?
- What is your availability like?
- Do you have a job?
- What kind of experience do you have?
- How do you handle rejection?
- Where do you see yourself in the agency?
- What are your goals?
- ARE YOU WILLING TO TRAVEL? This is the most common question asked.
6. Don’t fluff around with your answers!
Nothing is more infuriating than a person who goes around in circles trying to answer a question. When an agency asks you a question, get straight to the point but make sure to include the most important parts too. Maybe practice this with a friend or partner.
7. Don’t be afraid to ask questions!!
Before you sign, make sure you ask all of the questions you want to know. There is no wrong question to ask in my opinion when dealing with your future. My number one tip is never to walk out of a meeting having not asked at least one question.
So there you have it. This isn’t a post to scare you but to share with you a few helpful tips! The most important thing you can do is smile, be yourself and have fun. Don’t feel obligated to try and fit in, the beauty of being a human is we are all unique. Show what you can bring to the table and it will be all worth it! Stay cool, calm and collected YOU GOT THIS!
Thank you for reading my post. I would love some feedback by leaving me a comment.
Miss Rose 🌹